If you came across this article, without knowing what the CBM exactly is, then please first read these two articles:
- The Conscious Business Model – what is it and how does it function
- Inside the conscious Business Model – how do the different layers function together
1. Where are you?Let’s make the comparison with a roadmap. If you want to make use of a roadmap, you want to make sure that you know where you are situated on that map. It is no different for the CBM, you need to know where you are before you can start using it to your benefit. If you know on which level you are ‘stuck’, than you using one or both of the other levels will be the solution to getting ‘unstuck’. How do you answer this first question: where are you? Does that even makes sense when you look at the map of the CBM?
The grey field ‘change’ is what has drawn your attention and has caused some emotions inside you. Sometimes the grey field can be so intense, that you are in the heart of it. This is the place where you are the thing you perceive, your thoughts automatically stop and where there are no words or deeds are possible or necessary. This can either be an extremely beautiful thing like the amazing view on a mountain top after a long hike, or a disaster where everything you loved has been taken away from you. Not being in the heart of the change, will make you aware of the feelings inside you, positive or negative ones. Whenever you notice this happening, it means that you are at one of the green fields in the map. You cannot be in the grey field as this is the trigger for your emotions. Being in the grey field, would mean that you are in the heart of it, being the change itself. Now, how do you know where you are? By asking yourself the following questions:
- What exactly am I looking at right now?
- What exactly am I thinking right now?
- What exactly am I doing or saying right now?
Being in the structure modusLet’s say you are on your way to work and you are caught in a traffic jam. The moment you notice that there’s not much movement, you start to breath a bit more heavily and thoughts arise suggesting the worst things first. There’s of course that important meeting, you definitely need to be there. Thoughts keep coming, each thought a bit more dramatic and painful. You are not stuck at the mental level here, even though it are the mental thoughts that are driving you insane. The first question you ask: ‘what exactly am I looking at right now’ is a traffic jam. That traffic jam has caused you to feel stuck and thoughts (making things worse) arose from that. Being stuck in the structure modus is actually pretty easy to handle. Because it means it’s a physical thing that you are aware of with one (or more) of your senses. So either you can do something about those circumstances or you can’t. If you experience a bad taste in your mouth, you can look for a peppermint and problem solved. A traffic jam is of course not so easy and more or less beyond your control. What does that mean for you? The thoughts that you are having make no sense as they cannot change the physical reality right now. They actually succeed in making things worse. So when being stuck in a physical situation (or a perception of it), the first solution you will want to look for, is the mental level: make a plan for dealing with the situation.
- Get rid of the thoughts or check if you can confirm them
Being in the network modusThe network level is about communication, verbal or non-verbal. Imagine you crave a cigarette and go smoking outside. You really wish that you could leave the habit behind, you have tried it several times, but nothing seems to help. The act of smoking is the problem. Although this problem is a recurring event, you can do something about it. This time, the first solution is not the mental level (a game plan), but in the structure level. This means that you need to raise your awareness of your smoking habit. This means:
- When do I smoke?
- What triggered it?
- How do I feel when I smoke?
- How do I go about my smoking, do I just grab my phone while smoking?
- Avoid the trigger(s)
- Remove the attention away of the smoking moment
- Replace the smoking habit with an alternative
- Make a positive change that counters the unhealthy habit and wait until the fire spreads and makes the habit disappear automatically (easiest solution)
Being in the strategy modusThe best way to find out if you are in the strategy modus is to check your thinking. Are you thinking about a problem that is occurring right now? Then you are definitely not in the strategy level. The strategy level is all about the past or the future, but not the present. But be aware of the trap that you might be thinking about something in the future, as the example of the traffic jam above shows, while the real cause of the problem is in the present. In order to find a solution for that, you need to check what exactly the cause is. A traffic jam can’t be solved with walking away, so you need to use the mental level (strategy) to find a solution. Let’s take the example of a speech you have to give in the future. The thought of having to give that speech in front of an audience makes you terrified. As the event is planned in the future, here the problem is really situated in the mental level. What to do about it? Something needs to happen and make a change, otherwise you will be stuck forever in this thinking pattern until the speech has been done which automatically solves your problem. It was good or not. The real problem here is a lack of confidence. It’s a matter of acting that will lead to confidence. What can you do to boost your confidence?
- Work on your skills
- Get a coach, a mentor, a teacher,
- Film yourself giving a speech in your room, in front of the mirror…